What is Huel?
"HUman fuEL: a nutritionally complete powdered food that contains all the protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals your body needs."
So it is like that space food you dreamt of as a kid, the meal-in-a-pellet that would arrive at the same time as hover boots and teleporters. Well, only one of those has happened.
Huel comes as a powder. The easiest way to consume it is to mix it with water (though there are other options). We thought we'd buy some and get a few people to try it because many of the advantages below make sense to us.
- Cuts down on food waste (up to 30% of all food in the UK is thrown away). Huel has a shelf life of over 1 year.
- Makes it easy to take in the right amount of calories, which would help to curb the UK's obesity epidemic: 64% of adults are overweight or obese and obesity related conditions are on the increase.
- Includes all the nutrients you need. "Huel provides at least 100% of the UK Government's Reference Nutrient Intakes and the European Union's Daily Recommended Amount."
- Cruelty-free and suitable for vegetarians and vegans. "Huel contains no added sugar, no meat or animal products, no dairy, no soy, no eggs, making it suitable for those with even the most complex dietary requirements. Huel is made from real food. It contains a carefully chosen blend of vegan protein (rice and pea), oats, flaxseed, sunflower lecithin, MCT from coconut, and a vitamin and mineral blend."
- Cuts down on packaging: a whole week's supply of Huel comes in two pouches, compared to all the packaging required if you purchased traditional food from the supermarket.
- Saves time: it takes 2 minutes to mix a whole day's supply. Less washing up, less shopping, and no cooking.
- Versatile: you don't have to have it as your only food. Just use it for one meal a day, or one meal a week, and eat traditional food the rest of the time. Some people have Huel when on their own, and normal food when in company so they can enjoy cooking or eating out with friends as usual.
- Handy for when you don't have access to a kitchen (e.g. overnight stay in a hotel, travelling).