If you’re over 45, the world population has doubled in your lifetime. In 1968, the world population was 3,557,000,000. Today, the world population is 7,217,000,000 and grows by over 200,000 daily. [Source] There are updated statistics at Worldometers, including a World Population Clock.
The growth of the human population is one the biggest threats to the planet. Every other problem (pollution, consumption, waste, food resources, road building, loss of greenfield sites etc.) is magnified by it.
a = i X p
a = total impact of human behaviour
i = average individual impact
p = number of individuals
Here are some interesting links.
- No Kids For Me, Thanks (New York Times, April 2015)
- What Would Happen If The Entire World Lived Like Americans? (FastCoExist, November 2014)
- 10 Celebrities Who Choose Not To Have Children (TheRichest, March 2014)
- Are There Too Many People For Wildlife To Thrive? (BBC Radio, December 2013)
- To The Women Who Choose Not To Have Kids (Thought Catalog, December 2013)
- The Human Population Explosion (Yale Scientific, May 2013)
- TMI: My Sterilisation (The Vagenda, April 2013)
- How Big Was The World's Population When You Were Born? (The Guardian, October 2011)
Some organisations which focus on population: