Just in case you wonder what the fuss is all about, do you know how long it takes different items to break down? Let's take a look.
How long does it take to decompose?
- Paper towels: 2-4 weeks
- Banana peel: 3-4 weeks
- Paper bag: 1 month
- Newspaper: 1.5 months
- Apple core: 2 months
- Cardboard: 2 months
- Orange peel: 6 months
- Plywood: 1-3 years
- Wool sock: 1-5 years
- Milk carton: 5 years
- Cigarette butt: 10-12 years
- Leather shoes: 25-40 years
- Steel can: 50 years
- Foam plastic cups: 50 years
- Rubber-boot sole: 50-80 years
- Plastic containers: 50-80 years
- Aluminium cans: 200-500 years
- Plastic bottles: 450 years
- Disposable diapers: 550 years
- Monofilament fishing line: 600 years
- Plastic bags: 200-1000 years
Let's cut down on the worst offenders (or use alternatives) and then recycle them responsibly, so they don't end up polluting the environment.